The trick to this recipe seems to be in using the right type of potatoes. We have found that when you use the large Idaho style potatoes this recipe doesn’t come out as well. Instead go for the smaller red potatoes.
- Small red potatoes per person (adjust according to audience) : 2-3 Whole
- Butter : 8 Tablespoon
- Seasoning (garlic salt, lemon pepper) :
- Before you start cooking, cutup the potatoes into small bite size pieces.
- Use approx a full stick of butter for every batch of ~12 potatoes that you cook (so if you do 24 potatoes use 2 sticks of butter). Let the butter melt. Add the potatoes in and mix them around to get into the butter. Mix them well before the cooking starts and the potatoes get soft.
- Add the appropriate seasoning according to your preference. We like using some garlic salt as well as some lemon pepper. Others have commented on using Mrs Dash and other all purpose seasonings. We like the seasonings that have an Herb/Garlic flare to them. Don't feel like you have to be fancy - we have done this recipe with just salt and pepper and it still came out really good (although we prefer a little more flare).
- Mix the potatoes again and then close the lid on the dutch oven. Place about 8-10 coals on the bottom with 16-20 coals on top.
- Turn the dutch oven every 10 mins or so. Every 15-20 mins you might want to mix the potatoes and ensure they are getting a good even cook.
- After about 30 mins try one out and see if they are done. If the potato is soft, then it is ready. If it is still crunchy then it may need a little more time. Also ask your audience. Some people prefer a little crunch with these potatoes while other prefer softer results.