Ditch the Jiffy Pop and step up your popcorn making game with this fast and straight forward recipe.
The biggest trick with this recipe is knowing when the kernels have popped and taking it off the heat before the corn gets burned. Pay attention to the timing as it happens fast.
- Popcorn Kernels : 1/2 Cup
- Vegetable Oil : 1/4 Cup
- Sugar : 1/3 Cup
- Vegetable Oil : 1 Teaspoon
- Start by first heating the oil in your Dutch Oven for a few mins. We like to use about 8 coals on the bottom for this.
- Add in the popcorn and sprinkle the sugar over the kernels. Cover the oven and start turning the oven every couple of mins.
- After about 5 mins the first few kernels should start popping. NOTE: It might be hard to hear the kernels pop (compared to cooking in a kettle pot). Don't hesitate to sneak a quick peak every couple of mins if needed - just shut the lid fast to keep the heat in. The entire popping process will probably take 3-5 mins. Be sure to turn the oven every min or so to get even heat and avoid burning.
- Once satisfied with the amount popped, remove the oven from the heat and transfer the popped corn to another bowl or dish to avoid burning. If you keep it in the dutch oven, it will most likely caramelize and turn into a failed caramel popcorn experiment.
- Sprinkle the salt over the popped corn and enjoy while it is fresh and hot.