Camping while in the outdoors is a wonderful experience. Whether you are using a dutch oven or cooking over an open flame there are several tools that make it a lot easier.
Common Cooking Tools
From a general standpoint there are a lot of common kitchen utensils that you will want with you while cooking outdoors. But some of the most useful for me include the following:
- 2 cutting boards. One for uncooked food and one for cooked food.
- 2 chefs knifes. One for uncooked food and one for cooked food.
- Strong and long tongs. For handling meat over the grill.
- Grilling gloves. A strong pair that can withstand a decent amount of heat.
- Long handled Utensils such as a spoon and fork.
Dutch Oven Tools
When you are cooking over a dutch oven there are a few more items that will make your cooking experience a lot easier.
- Lid handle. Hooks onto the wire handle to carry the dutch oven as well as onto the lid to lift the lid up.
- Vegetable oil. Useful when cleaning to wipe a little bit onto the dutch oven before storage.
- Charcoal and charcoal tongs. These could just be an old pair of tongs that can get dirty from handling charcoal.
Convenience Cooking Tools
Let’s face it – you are cooking to enjoy a good meal. Sometimes you will have the luxury of having extra space to bring some more gear. If so – you may find these items will make cooking outdoors a lot easier.
- Portable preparation table. Doesn’t have to be big – just a little table where you can cut up ingredients, lay items out, etc.
- Charcoal chimney, lighter fluid and a lighter. Let’s face it – starting a charcoal fire on a windy day can be annoying – why not make it easier.
- Paper towels and tinfoil. Tinfoil is great for catching things and not loosing drippings. Paper towels for fast and easy cleanup
- Bucket. Basically to hold some water off to the side to help extinguish the fire.